10 Foods to Keep Cals Down And Stay Satisfied


With so many diets and healthy lifestyle changes occurring these days, we wanted to take some time to share some ideas for snacks. Not just any snacks, but things that you can eat without so much guilt! Now, before we get started, it is important to make it clear, that these foods still contain calories and it does not necessarily mean they end up being a negative calorie snack. What it does mean, is that these snacks are great to replace your chips and cookies with, because they contain nutrients and fiber that your bodies needs energy to break down. For example, a big one we all hear about is celery. Celery is 75% water, and the other 25% is filled with fiber, antioxidants, and Vitamins.

Some other great examples are:

  1. Grapefruits- Grapefruits are high in water content, and contain a fiber called pectin. They are a great fruit to start your mornings with to boost your metabolism.

  2. Leafy Greens- This can be anything from kale to arugula, and is a great way to nourish your body from unhealthy snacks. Greens range from about 50% water to 50% fiber, and they contain a healthy dose of vitamins.

  3. Watermelon- It is in the name! Watermelon is about 92% water with the rest being composed of naturally occurring sugar. It is a great snack for craving a sweet treat!

  4. Apples- Apples are composed of water,  and have a large amount of fiber per serving. This makes apples a great snack to keep full, and they are filled with other beneficial vitamins, like vitamin k. Great with peanut butter or a greek yogurt dip!

  5. Tomatoes- A lower calorie fruit that has a high water content, and still fills you with some fiber! Add them to almost anything for a more tasty dish!

  6. Cucumbers- Cucumbers are 95% water! This makes it a great snack, especially in the summer, it will keep you hydrated and satisfied.

  7. Carrots- Carrots are a great low calorie veggie snack, and filled with many nutritional benefits. Add it with hummus for an even better snack!

  8. Broccoli and Cauliflower- Great ways to stay full as they contain a great balance of carbs, protein, and fiber. They are also low in calories!

  9. Strawberries- Strawberries are filled with water, in fact it is right up there with watermelon. They are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth, or add it on a salad for a more flavorful meal!

  10. Lean Meats- Lean meats are definitely higher in calories than most of the items on this list. Yet, there is something to be said about low calorie, protein dense food. This will help your body run for a longer amount of time, while still burning it as fuel.

The items all have a higher water content, fiber, and some protein. This will help fuel your body and help it run efficiently. They all still have calories and depending on other factors, your body will burn the fuel for energy instead of storing it as fat! Just remember it is still important to eat the right portions on these snacks as well.

So sit back, and start snacking!